With more than 120 attractions, 140 hotels, and 380 restaurants, your week-long vacation in Cancun or the Riviera Maya will seem too short to enjoy everything this little piece of paradise has to offer. To make the most out of your short stay, make sure to plan accordingly and enjoy these must-dos of your Caribbean vacation.
1. Beaches in the Riviera Maya: Wrapped in white sand beaches and clear blue oceans, the beaches in the Caribbean have been deemed some of the best in the world. With 22 kilometers of beach (almost 14 miles) and year-round temperatures of 26C and 36C (78.8F and 96.8F), missing a bright, sunny day of swimming in the ocean or relaxing in the beach would be a crime. Venture outside of Cancun to Playa del Carmen or Isla Mujeres for some of the Riviera Maya's most pristine beaches.
2. Mayan Ruins in the Yucatan Peninsula: No one is quite sure how many Mayan ruins in Mexico there are; however, the Yucatan Peninsula holds some of the most spectacular archaeological sites of the Mayan world. Some packages such as tours to Tulum, Chichen-Itza, and Coba offer travelers discounted rates that include transportation and entrance fee to the archaeological parks. For the Mayan enthusiasts who wish to learn more about the Mayan culture, excursions to Ek Balam, Muyil-just south of Tulum-or even ruins El Rey right in the hotel zone of Cancun will offer the explorer that extra.
3. Nightlife in Cancun: Apart from its beaches, this paradise is infamous for drawing crowds of college and high school students from Canada and the United States looking for the active Cancun nightlife. Whether it's a night of dancing or a chill-out evening you're looking for, Cancun has something for everyone. Renowned nightclubs such as The City, Coco Bongo, Dady'O, and The Bulldog Cafe are all clumped in one strip and offer its travelers some of the best DJ's, laser and light shows, acrobats, and the best party atmosphere. Downtown Cancun and some bars in the Cancun hotel zone have a more relaxed atmosphere as well as live music venues including local salsa bars.
4. Tasty food of Mexico: There are between 500 to 1000 different types of tamales in Mexico and the variety in cuisine extends further than this steamy tradition. Mexican food is not just delicious and diverse, but it is sometimes considered an art form. Cancun travelers will have many options ranging from the all-famous Mexican tacos to gourmet Mexican food. The staples of the Mexican cuisine include tortillas, frijoles (beans), chilies or salsas, guacamole, and of course tequila and cerveza (beer).
5. Snorkel in Mexico: Nestled in the Caribbean Sea, the Yucatan Peninsula offers locations for snorkel in abundance, whether it's the first time you take that dive and you want to learn how to snorkel or you're an expert. Isla Mujeres, Isla Holbox, some beaches in Cancun and the Riviera Maya are great for beginners. Cozumel is scuba paradise. This part of Mexico also has cenotes, or natural sinkholes which provide a great snorkel adventure for this must-do activity. Always remember to wear biodegradable sunscreen as to not damage the natural habitat.
Although the short amount of time you will be in Cancun will not seem like enough, remember a Caribbean vacation will always be waiting for you. The most important thing is to have fun, relax, and come back.
(c) Copyright – Pamela Acosta. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.