Practicing safety while using a tractor snow blower can mean the difference between a trip to the emergency room and just another day's work. When using a tractor snow blower the following 8 tips will keep you safe and help you finish the job.
- Know your machine and maintain it. Getting to know your tractor snow blower is the first step you can take to ensure your safety. Prior to revving up the engine, read the instruction manual. Familiarize yourself with its gears, parts, fluid systems and fuel requirements. Commit the safety information to memory to avoid all known dangers. All equipment requires maintenance to perform at its best. Be sure to follow a routine maintenance schedule to avoid injuries resulting from maintenance.
- Watch the Blades. A tractor snow blower operates by multiple spinning parts propelled by an engine. Stay alert and stay clear of all moving parts.
- Wear Proper Clothing. Do not wear loose fitting clothing. Clothing can quickly and easily get trapped in machine resulting not only in engine damage but also increasing your risk for injury. Wear clothing that is warm and weather appropriate. Also be sure you wear footwear designed for outdoor use.
- fuel a cold engine. Filling up a hot engine can result in a catastrophe. Be safe. Refuel and also refill oil and coolant only when the engine is cool.
- Know your landscape. Get to know the job before you begin. Knowing exactly what you have to do will help you prepare for any obstacles.
- Protective Gear. Wear ear plugs and eye goggles while operating the machine. It is also a good idea to invest in an anti-fog agent for your goggles to help keep your view free from construction.
- Turn the engine off prior to getting on or off the tractor. Many injuries can be avoided by simply following a strict practice of shutting off the tractor snow blower before you mount or dismount.
- Do not drink and operate. It's cold outside and while a few spirits may warm your heart, doing so while operating a tractor snow blower can result in disaster. Drink responsibly, especially while operating machinery.
Tractor snow blowing can be safe and work efficient. Be sure to practice all precautions while digging out of the snow and you are sure to get the job done adequately.